Wednesday 14 February 2018

Loop De Loop - Myth

February's theme for LoopDeLoop is 'Myth'

My initial thoughts jumed straight to the Greek myths that I used to read as a kid, and I thought about picking one or more of Heracles' 12 labours. The drawing style used on ancient Greek pottery is very distinctive, and actually quite cartoony, so I settled on that for a style.

As I was doodling Heracles and some of the monsters he fought I looked up and saw Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus on my bookshelf, and remembered the story of King Sisyphus who pissed off Zeus and was sent to the cruel punishment section of hell, cursed to roll a boulder up a hill forever. The story seemed a perfect fit, as just when Sisyphus gets to the top of the hill his boulder inevitably rolls down, thereby looping infinitely!

I would like to revisit using cutout animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment